Tribal Enrollment

Tips & Recommendations


1. Please have your application completed and any required documents (e.g. certified county issued birth certificates that includes parent(s)’ names and current photo Ids) available for review.


2. If you are adopted or have a child that is subject to an adoption order, please be prepared to provide the biological birth certificate and amended birth certificate. If the biological birth certificate is not available and you know the biological parent(s), we will accept DNA evidence of biological descent. Please be advised that the Enrollment Office reserves the right to request DNA evidence from any applicant or member.


3. The rolls will close thirty (30) days prior to any Special or Regular Election (typically held in November) and will remain closed thirty (30) after the certification of the election. 


4. If you are applying for new enrollment, attend the historic culture class before coming in to apply for membership.


New Enrollments


For new enrollments, the process has changed for proving tribal contact and there are two types of contact: historic and present-day. Historic contact is determined when an applicant attended a school that was all Indian prior to desegregation, or they are/was a member of a historical Lumbee church. The major change is in determining present-day contact. In the past, there was an interview that was given to applicants asking about their knowledge of Lumbee history and culture. The interview is no longer being given. However, an applicant, aged 18 and over, has to attend a historic culture class before completing the application for enrollment. After the class is completed a certificate of completion will be issued and the applicant will bring this so that it can be copied and placed in their file.


Applications can be downloaded and printed using the following link, Enrollment Application (requires Adobe Acrobat and it is recommended to print on legal size paper for the best quality). If you cannot access the application or are having trouble printing it on legal size paper, we will have applications on hand for you to complete when you arrive in the office. It is recommended that you arrive 15 minutes early so you will have adequate time to complete forms.


Bring all required information* (certified county issued birth certificate** that records parents’ names for each person to be enrolled and the Certificate of Completion from the Historic Culture Class). A photo ID will be required for adults. Failure to bring this required information may delay or prevent enrollment.  Please note that minors do not need to be present in order for the parent or guardian to enroll them. However, if you want a picture ID card for your child, the child will have to be present.


*Please be advised that if any additional information or records are needed to determine your eligibility, you will be informed when seen by enrollment staff.


**Birth certificates will only be accepted from the state when the county does not issue birth records.


NO appointment is needed for new enrollments.


Re-Certifications / Replacement Cards

All members are required to update their membership once every seven (7) years (per Section 6a of Ordinance CLLO-2010-0121-01). If you are 55 or over and an active member, this requirement is waived.  


For those members who are enrolled and only need to update their membership, we will continue to take re-certifications on a walk-in basis Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm. To access and print the re-certification form, use the following link: Re-certification Form.


Please do not forget to bring your county issued certified* birth certificates for yourself and any children under the age of 18. You must be physically present to update your enrollment, unless you meet one of the following exceptions (per Section 6b of Ordinance CLLO-2010-0121-01):


1.  Members who are 55 years or older are encouraged to periodically update their membership file, but are not required to do so.


2.  Members serving on active, retired, or honorably discharged military duty outside the tribal territory may update their membership file by completing and mailing a Recertification form to the Office of Tribal Enrollment and Records.


3.  The spouse and children (or stepchildren) who are tribal members and living with a spouse serving in the military service outside the tribal territory may update their tribal membership by completing and mailing a recertification form to the Office of Tribal Enrollment and Records.


4.  Members who are physically or mentally unable to appear as evidenced by a letter or statement signed by an attending physician or other primary health care provider may update their membership file by completing and mailing a Recertification form to the Office of Tribal Enrollment and Records.


*Birth certificates will only be accepted from the state when the county does not issue birth records.


• $5.00 – Restoration Fine


• $30.00 – Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB)


• $30.00 – Certification of Indian Tuition Waivers


• FREE – ID cards


• FREE – Certificate of Enrollment (issued in the event a child is not present) 


• $50.00 – Cost of Paternity/Maternity DNA testing per person (samples can be taken onsite or off at a facility closest to residence).


          For Payment, we accept cash, credit/debit, cashier’s checks or money orders.


2020 Office Closures



  • New Year’s Day || Wednesday - 1/1/2020

  • Martin Luther King Day || Monday - 1/20/2020

  • President’s Day || Monday - 2/17/2020

  • Easter Monday || Monday - 4/13/2020

  • Memorial Day || Monday - 5/25/2020

  • Independence Day || Friday - 7/3/2020

  • Labor Day || Monday - 9/7/2020 

  • Veteran’s Day || Monday - 11/11/2020

  • Thanksgiving || Thursday - 11/26/2020 

  • Day After Thanksgiving || Friday - 11/27/2020

  • Christmas Eve || Thursday - 12/24/2020

  • Christmas Day || Friday - 12/25/2020

  • Day After Christmas || Monday - 12/28/2020

  • New Year’s Eve || Thursday - 12/31/2020

  • New Year’s Day || Friday - 1/1/2021

Week of Archiving (closed to the public for purposes of inputting and archiving records)


  • January 27 – January 31, 2020

  • February 24 – February 28, 2020

  • March 23 – March 27, 2020

  • April 20 – April 24, 2020

  • May 25 – May 29, 2020

  • June 22 – June 26, 2020 (Open due to Homecoming Week) 

  • July 27 – July 31, 2020

  • August 24 – August 28, 2020

  • September 21 – September 25, 2020

  • October 9 – November 2020 (Election Period) 

  • December 21 – December 25, 2020 (Opening depends on Certification of Election)


(Requires Adobe Acrobat to view)



FORMS & APPLICATIONS (Requires Adobe Acrobat to view)



(to be completed as a supplement to the enrollment application if an adoption has occurred)

Enrollment Definitions



Tribal Base rolls – For purposes of enrollment, the primary base rolls are the 1900 and/or 1910 Federal Indian census records for Robeson and adjoining counties (excluding Columbus County, NC). For a complete listing click here and view Section 1(a) of the tribal enrollment ordinance. 


Certified Birth Certificate – Official birth certificate issued by the County Register of Deeds. For purposes of enrollment, we require the type of birth certificate that records the name(s) of parent(s).  Certified birth certificates must be issued from the county of birth.  Birth certificates will only be accepted from the state when the county does not issue birth records.


Amended Birth Certificate – An amended birth certificate is a birth certificate issued when there is a change to the original record. Such changes occur when a child is adopted (and the adopting parent(s) are listed as parent(s) rather than the biological parent(s) or to correct errors (i.e. mis-spelling of name) on the original birth certificate.


Lineage Chart – This is the family tree and is always filed as the first page of the Lumbee Tribal Enrollment Application.


Enrollment Card – Photo ID Card given to enrolled tribal members that lists enrollment number, address, date card was issued, and seven (7) year expiration date.


Permanent Enrollment – Card Photo ID Card given to enrolled members fifty-five (55) and older that also lists enrollment number, address, and date card was issued. This card has a fifty (50) year expiration date. 


Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) – A CIB is a certificate that gives the Lumbee blood degree of individuals who link back to the base rolls. It is primarily used by students applying for scholarships or any other program where proof of blood quantum is required. (This certificate cannot be used to apply for services, benefits, or privileges that are restricted to members of federally recognized tribes.)


Certificate of Enrollment – In lieu of the tribal enrollment card the office can issue a certificate that is free to the member.


Restoration Fine – This fine must be paid prior to an enrolled member updating if their card has expired or they have never updated (minors will not be charged this fine).


Tuition Waivers – For educational purposes, some states “waive” tuition for students attending post-secondary schools or institutions of higher education based on their blood degree. These waivers are commonly referred to as “tuition waivers.” To find out if your state offers tuition waivers, please contact the institution that you will be attending. Unfortunately, the Lumbee Tribe does not offer any educational scholarships or tuition waivers.



Enrollment FAQ's


1. Who is Eligible for Lumbee Tribal Membership? Only individuals who have biological descent to one or more persons named on the tribe’s baserolls and who maintain historical or present day contact.  All current members and potential members must show that tribal contact is being maintained.


2. What happens if I do not meet the criteria for enrollment? If you do not meet the criteria for enrollment you will receive a decision letter and a petition to file an appeal with the Administrative Court via certified mail. You have the option to appeal the adverse decision to the Administrative Court and you have sixty (60) days from the date of receipt to file the appeal. If, for some reason the petition is not included, you may download it here.


3. Can I enroll via mail, email, or fax? No, tribal law requires that you apply in person in the office for purposes of enrollment. However, parents or legal guardians may apply for membership of any minor children in their custody and the minor children do not have to be present.


4. What are the required documents needed for enrollment by each applicant? County issued certified* birth certificates that record parent(s) name(s), photo ID for adults (e.g. driver’s license), a certificate from the Historic culture class, and a completed application.


5. Do I need to fill out an application on my minor child(ren)? If you are an enrolled parent, you may fill out the re-certification form and list your child under you. If you are a parent enrolling yourself and a minor child(ren), you would need to only fill out one application and then list your children under Section III of the enrollment application.


6. I already have the updated enrollment card. Do I need to get another one? Check the expiration date on your card. If it has expired or is getting ready to expire you need to update as soon as possible. If you are 55 and over and have an updated enrollment card, you are eligible to get the permanent card with the fifty (50) year expiration date and this can be done via mail.


7. Do I need my birth certificate to update my enrollment card? YES. You should always bring the county issued certified* birth certificate that lists parent(s) name(s), and photo ID when visiting the enrollment office for any purpose.


8. What if I am enrolled but cannot find my old tribal card? As long as you bring your photo ID and county issued certified* birth certificate that lists parent(s) name(s), we can access your membership file.


9. When can I come in to update my enrollment and get the new picture enrollment card?* Applicants are seen Monday through Friday with the exception of our Archiving Week from 8:00am 4:30 pm. The Office of Tribal Enrollment and Records and all other tribal offices are closed in observance of all federal holidays, with the exception of Columbus Day.

*Before visiting the Office of Tribal Enrollment and Records, check our Office Closing section to verify that the office is open on the day of your visit; and if you are still not sure, you may contact enrollment staff at 910.522.5468.


10. Why do the rolls close? Lumbee Tribal Council always closes the Lumbee rolls 30 days prior to and after any Lumbee elections for verification purposes. Also, the Lumbee Tribal Council reserves the right to close the rolls periodically for maintenance or other reasons. Please check for closure notifications at


11. Is there a form I can fill out early to help speed the process up when I get into the office? Yes, we have now posted the Re-certification form and New Enrollment application online for individuals to download and print. The enrollment application is formatted to be printed on legal size paper. If you are unable to print it on legal size paper, please wait to complete it at the office.


12. What if I have been adopted? If you are Lumbee by birth and have been adopted, you would need the original birth certificate that records the biological parent(s) name(s) and the amended birth certificate that records the adoptive parent(s) name(s). If you cannot get access to the original birth certificate, we will accept DNA evidence to prove biological descent. Please be advised that the Enrollment Office reserves the right to request DNA evidence from any applicant or member.


13. Who/What can I use for DNA testing? The enrollment office has a contract with LabCorp and we offer DNA testing at a reasonable price of $50 per person.  The testing can be done on-site at the Tribal Housing Complex or off-site at a facility closest to your residence.  DNA testing is used only to determine paternity or maternity (in the case of adoptions).  Do not try to schedule testing directly through LabCorp or they will charge you full price.  You would need to contact the enrollment office to schedule this testing.



*Certified birth certificates must be issued from the county of birth.  Birth certificates will only be accepted from the state when the county does not issue birth records.


Enrollment Employees


Reena Locklear, Enrollment Manager
Phone: 910.522.5474 


Amanda Strickland, Genealogist
Phone: 910.522.5473


Raisa Jones, Program Specialist

Phone: 910.522.5177



Jane Barnhill, Enrollment Receptionist

Phone: 910.522.5468








© 2019 ~ All rights reserved ~ The official website of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina

6984 NC Hwy 711 West PO Box 2709 Pembroke, NC 28372 ~ 910.521.7861 or 1.855.801.9738